[Tipz] Printing notes for OS X users

Ian Langworth bass at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jun 30 18:48:56 EDT 2003

Here's some interesting stuff I've found recently.

1) If OS X's Print Center ever gives you any kind of trouble
   whatsoever, the following utility will fix it for you: Print
   Center Repair. It's available from www.versiontracker.com.
   Make sure you read the single PDF document that comes with it
   and look through for the problem you're having -- it tells
   you what to click. It successfully told me that my CUPS
   daemon wasn't running, wasn't being started at startup, and
   even identified and repaired permissions problems with the
   spool directories.

2) If you want to access a printer from OS X that's being shared
   from a Windows XP/2000 machine, here's great instructions on
   how to set up an LPR server on Windows (aka "Unix Print
   Services") and avoid any SMB sharing:

    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021230045509864

3) Somewhere along these lines (I think it was in the Print
   Center Repair docs), something suggested that I install the
   "Gimp-print" package. Gimp-Print adds LPR/PPD definitions for
   over 500 printers, including those printers that usually
   require proprietary software. This was a must for the Epson
   printer I'm sharing via LPR:

    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

--
Ian Langworth