[scponly] first (recent) post

Johan Heikkilä johanheikkila at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:30:29 EST 2010

2010/11/19 Kaleb Pederson <kaleb.pederson at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Johan Heikkilä
> <johanheikkila at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I am interested in ideas how to handle password changing. Currently
>> our users cannot change their passwords. We only allow login with scp
>> or sftp clients.
>
> Why can't they change their passwords? Is that just a choice that you made.
>
> I ask because the initial version of scponly did not support changing
> passwords when a chroot was in use.  I changed that quite a while ago
> so the user can change their password, even if only sftp/scp transfers
> is enabled.  If I remember correctly, the option to enable password
> changing within the chroot is '--enable-chrooted-passwd'.
>
> --Kaleb

I have not investigated this really. Most users access the server with
WinSCP, Filezilla or a similar GUI client. Very few would be able to
use the terminal with ssh to change their password. I see that WinSCP
has some support for password request change from the server, but I
don't know how to implement it, or if it is supported by all clients.
I will check this.

Johan