[scponly] chroot+sftp logging

Kaleb Pederson kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 11:18:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:22 AM, Yann Lostec <lostec at hotmail.fr> wrote:
> I tried this WE to make a chrooted sftp server on a ubuntu 8.04 PC and experienced problems when I enable sftp logging.
[... snip...]

> I suspect:
> -A missing library, in the chroot, used for logging that is only called by the sftp server when logging is activated?
> -scponly working with logging, but scponlyc not working? When activating debug options to scponly, it seems my call/arguments are refused (while valid) so I get a connection loss.

Please post the debug output that you got in the logs.  The logging
information will help us know where to look for problems.

> chroot have been setup using initial chroot script from 4.6/ubuntu.

The setup scripts are known to have deficiencies and only work in
certain cases.  If you want to remove chroot problems from the
picture, take a look at Jailkit which is sufficiently powerful to
correctly sutp the chroot -- however, depending on what your debug
output from the above looks like, it might not be necessary.

> Any tips/informations to make it work is welcome!

Are you using a custom version of OpenSSH that has the Sftp Logging
patch applied?  The Sftp logging patch only works with OpenSSH
versions <= 4.4.  Furthermore, OpenSSH has added some of the logging
options that were available as a part of the SFTP Logging patch to
OpenSSH directly.  There's now a SFTP File Control patch
(http://sftpfilecontrol.sourceforge.net) available that supersedes the
logging patch and adds back in the missing behavior.

I hope that helps.  Let us know how it goes.

Salut

--Kaleb