[scponly] chroot+sftp logging

Yann Lostec lostec at hotmail.fr
Mon Jul 21 07:22:50 EDT 2008

Hello,

I tried this WE to make a chrooted sftp server on a ubuntu 8.04 PC and experienced problems when I enable sftp logging.

To sum-up:
-sftp works with logging for a normal ssh user, so logging works inside openssh sftp server with passed arguments.
-sftp works with scponly+chroot, but when I modify /etc/ssh/sshd_config to add sftp logging arguments, connection is lost just after typing password.

In the chroot, I have null device setup by hand and log setup by adding a -a /chroot_path/dev/log to syslog start.

I suspect:
-A missing library, in the chroot, used for logging that is only called by the sftp server when logging is activated?
-scponly working with logging, but scponlyc not working? When activating debug options to scponly, it seems my call/arguments are refused (while valid) so I get a connection loss.

I initially suspected ubuntu provided version (4.6) compiled without the sftp logging enable option... but compiling myself a 4.8 from latest stable sources the result is the same.

chroot have been setup using initial chroot script from 4.6/ubuntu.

Any tips/informations to make it work is welcome!

Regards