[scponly] Problem with Debian scponly 4.8 and winscp

Kaleb Pederson kaleb.pederson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:33:10 EST 2008

Just in case my response didn't make it to the list:

On 2/12/08, Alexander Maringer <maringer at maringer-it.de> wrote:
> the filesystem is mounted exec:
> :/home/scponly# mount
> /dev/md3 on /home type ext3 (rw,usrquota)

Ok.

> The entry of the passwd is:
> scponly:x:1605:1605::/home/scponly:/usr/sbin/scponlyc

That looks reasonable.

> So if I change with su to scponly "# su scponly", then the system throws me in the scponlyc environment and there I always get an
> " WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0"
> So I cannot chroot.

Close.  As your on linux, you should be able to do something like the following:

su -s /bin/bash - scponly

That should ignore the shell entry in passwd, which is currently
'scponlyc' and, therefore, allow you to verify permissions on the
files, although you won't be chrooted, so you'll have to cd to
/home/scponly first.

You should be able to verify the chroot with the following:

chroot /home/scponly /bin/bash

I don't remember all the details off the top of my head, but if
permissions allow you can do the chroot command after su'ing to the
scponly user as indicated above.  But, even doing so as root will be
informative.

Best of luck.

--Kaleb