[scponly] enabling an rsync daemon on top of scponly setup...

Gore Jarold gore_jarold at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 10:42:20 EDT 2007

--- Gore Jarold <gore_jarold at yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is a theory question, and more to do with rsync
> in general than scponly, but I'd really like this
> groups take on it...
>
> I run an scponly-enabled system that is primarily a
> target for users to run rsync over SSH.  All users
> use
> the chrooted scponlyc shell.  I do not currently run
> an rsync daemon.
>
> All is well, everyone is happy.
>
> What happens if I just fire up an rsync daemon ?
>
> My thoughts are, most modern rsync client
> implementations _default_ to '-e SSH' mode, and any
> clients that didn't are already configured to run
> with
> '-e ssh', so nobody will suddenly find themselves
> unintentionally running over rsync instead of ssh,
> right ?
>
> Will this even be possible, since their shell
> (scponlyc) restricts them to scp/ssh commands ?
>
> If they do successfully connect, I assume they will
> authenticate against the base systems' /etc/passwd
> and
> ... will they be chrooted as defined in their home
> directory in /etc/passwd ?  Does anything in there
> matter at all besides uid/password ?

Nobody has any comments on this ?

I think what will happen is that rsyncd connections
will happen outside the bounds of my scponlyc setup,
and that using rsyncd, remote users will have full run
of my filesystem ... which isn't bad, as long as
permissions are done right ... but it isn't nearly as
locked down as my scponlyc setup.

For instance, a remote rsyncd user could write files
to the systems base /tmp, or could read files in
/usr/lib or something like that.  Again, not terrible,
but I'd like to avoid it.

Is there something for rsyncd that is similar to the
/etc/ftpchroot facility, wherein every user has a line
that designates a chroot for their use of the ftp
daemon ?

Is anyone here using rsyncd in conjunction with
scponlyc ?