[scponly] enabling an rsync daemon on top of scponly setup...

Gore Jarold gore_jarold at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 18:16:11 EDT 2007

This is a theory question, and more to do with rsync
in general than scponly, but I'd really like this
groups take on it...

I run an scponly-enabled system that is primarily a
target for users to run rsync over SSH.  All users
use
the chrooted scponlyc shell.  I do not currently run
an rsync daemon.

All is well, everyone is happy.

What happens if I just fire up an rsync daemon ?

My thoughts are, most modern rsync client
implementations _default_ to '-e SSH' mode, and any
clients that didn't are already configured to run
with
'-e ssh', so nobody will suddenly find themselves
unintentionally running over rsync instead of ssh,
right ?

Will this even be possible, since their shell
(scponlyc) restricts them to scp/ssh commands ?

If they do successfully connect, I assume they will
authenticate against the base systems' /etc/passwd
and
... will they be chrooted as defined in their home
directory in /etc/passwd ?  Does anything in there
matter at all besides uid/password ?

Any comments / suggestions appreciated...