[scponly] rsync --only-write-batch with scponly

demo at itmanagement.net demo at itmanagement.net
Thu Jul 19 05:52:00 EDT 2007

Hi Kaleb,

this was good news!

I tried out the snapshot from 20070718 and everything worked fine. I could
successfully use rsync with all long options I tested (most of them) from
cygwin rsync 2.6.6 protocol=29 to debian Etch rsync 2.6.9 protocol=29.
However I have not yet been able to set up the chrooted environment with
the snapshot, but I belive that is only a matter of configure it correctly
on debian Etch. I'll let you know when I succeed with the chroot and long
opts.

Thanks a lot for your help and the excellent scponly!

/Ramses

> Hi Ramses,
>
> BTW, this has been fixed in CVS for a little while now.  It now has
proper getopt_long processing support.

> If you could, please try it out and let us know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Kaleb
>
> On Wednesday 18 July 2007, demo at itmanagement.net wrote:
>> I did come upp with a quick-fix just to get it running I did first
patch the 4.6 source tree with a patch from

scponly-4.6_2/helper.c  2007-07-18 23:07:09.000000000 +0200 @@ -159,6
+159,7 @@
>>             "--delete_after",
>>             "--partial",
>>             "--progress",
>> +           "--only-write-batch=X",
>>             NULL    /* last element must be NULL */
>>         };
>>

>> /Ramses
>>
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I've a strange problem when i run rsync in batch mode, but only with
>> the
>> > option --only-write-batch. It does not fail when I run with option
--write-batch.

>> > Unfortunately I have to push backups from a couple of Windowsmachines
>> and
>> > I would like to create batchfiles and not apply them on the
>> destination
>> > tree before I've transferred them to the destination server. To be
>> able
>> > to do this I use cygwin with rsync and run the scripts from that
environment. In this situation I would be very, very happy if I could
>> use
>> > scponly in a chrooted environment on my backupserver.
>> >
>> > Output from authlog:
>> >

>> > Jul 18 17:35:32 secretserver scponly[15638]: option
>> --only-write-batch=X
>> > is not permitted for use with /usr/bin/scp (username: username(1021),
IP/port: 172.17.17.3 1044 53463)
>> > Jul 18 17:35:32 secretserver scponly[15638]: requested command
(/usr/bin/rsync --server -vlogDtpr --delete --only-write-batch=X
>> srcdir
>> > destdir) tried to use disallowed argument (username: username(1021),
IP/port: 172.17.17.3 1044 53463))