[scponly] Help me understand why the // syntax is useful ...

Arone Silimantia aronesimi at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 10:16:39 EST 2007

Thank you Paul, Kaleb.

Ok, I guess my reasoning was:

If a home directory of /mnt/home requires someone to
append :/username to their remote path or command,
then having a home directory of /mnt/home//username
will allow them to just append :/ instead.  For
instance:

ssh user at host ls -asl /

or:

scp file user at host:/

But now I see that that is incorrect, and that the
path specified by the remote user is _always_ used
literally, regardless of the // chdir.

With that in mind, I am going to append the //username
to the end of my home directories, and instruct my
users to just use _no_ path on their remote commands,
like this:

ssh user at host ls -asl

or:

scp file user at host:

Final two questions:

- are there any pitfalls to this scheme - using a
//username convention, and then having people run
remotely with _no_ directory specified ?  Any pitfalls
or unintended consequences you can think of ?

- It _seems_ that this setup allows me to use both
conventions - if the home directory is
/mnt/home//username, then they can:

scp file user at host:/username

and that is identical to:

scp file user at host:

Any comments on that _actually_ being identical, or
any pitfalls in treating it that way ... or assuming
it to be that way ?

Thanks.