[scponly] Antw: Re: Problem with Suse Linux Enterpise Server 10SP1

Kaleb Pederson kibab at icehouse.net
Mon Aug 6 10:38:20 EDT 2007

On Saturday 04 August 2007, Axel Schneck wrote:
> Hi Kaleb,
>
> yes and no. Using ftp there should be no entry in ssh-logs, right.
> And right, normally using ftp should be nothing to do with sssh and also
> scponly.
>
> But in fact there seems to be something with it.
>
> I user the server for ftp, sftp and scp logins. And i need chrroted
> environment for alle kinds of transfer. Using ftp it's no problem to set it
> up for chroot.
>
> ssh doenst support it, so I use scponly.
>
> Using SLES10 without SP1 there was no problem, setting up a user with
> scponly as shell; logging in using ftp (over vsftpd) works also as using
> sftp/scp where scponly will do it's work.

I would guess that this is related to configuration changes in vsftpd.conf.  I
would look at the differences between the configuration files that are
installed and investigate other differences aside from scponly.  FTP does not
require that a valid shell be installed, although the specific FTP daemon
being used might.  I would look at manpage and documentation for vsftpd.conf.
Specifically, the following are relevant:

check_shell
chroot_local_user

There might be other relevant settings, but those seem like likely culprits.

You should be able to increase the logging that vsftpd is giving you, making
it easier to debug.

Good luck.

--Kaleb