[scponly] Transmission times

Paul Hyder Paul.Hyder at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 9 13:44:55 EST 2006

There are two likely problems:
	1. encryption speed for your selected/default ssh/scp cypher
	2. If this is a long distance transfer (long round trip time)
	   then ssh has an rather bad hard coded internal TCP window.

For #1 check your cpu load on the scponly server.  See other postings
for info on cypher selection.  Problem #2 can slow down transfers with
latency greater than about 5ms.  You should be able to hit this ftp data
rate with a combination of a tuned host and tuned ssh.  How fast is the
link?  What hardware/OS?
    Paul Hyder
    NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory, Global Systems Division
    Boulder, CO

BTW: If you are in a supported environment and able to compile ssh
from source code the patches from PSC.edu might be of interest.
( http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/ )