[scponly] Transmission times

Jeroen Scheerder Jeroen.Scheerder at phil.uu.nl
Mon Jan 9 13:31:38 EST 2006

Lou Piccoli (9/1/06) [[scponly] Transmission times]:

>Since moving to scponly from ftp, transmission times for the same
>amount of
>data has tripled at best. Can anyone tell me why the increase in time to
>transmit, is it because of the packet confirmations being done, are they
>being done?

I think that what you're seeing is overhead induced by encryption, and
possibly compression.

On slower network links, the network is probably the bottleneck.  But
with high-speed interconnectivity the cpu activity that comes with
encryption/compression may prove limiting.