[scponly] mysql

Mario Döring mario at dedenet.de
Tue Feb 7 04:33:14 EST 2006

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:52:20 -0800
wby oblyr <joe at sublimation.org> wrote:

> I'm going to have to agree with Sven on this one, Mario.  adding
> mysql support to scponly is way outside the design goals.
>
> i have some serious doubts that any administrator would want to treat
> file transfer privs and database access as the same problem to be
> solved with the same tool.
>
> I think you would be better off with the access control included in
> mysql, perhaps augmented by some firewall rules to limit
> accessibility to the server.  If the ultimate destination of your
> backup files is some remote system, write your cron job on the remote
> system and access the data using tcp sql connection.  Running a local
> msqyl_dump through scponly is officially a Bad Idea.
>
> Sorry I cant help you more,
> joe

Hmmm.. those are the only two commands the user needs.
Make a mysqldump on the server and then transfer it via rsync to the
local machine.

But I see your point of course :)

A slightly different question/suggestion. Does it make sense to
implement "plugins" for certain programs?

So that people can easily add or remove / parameters?

It maybe could make development of scponly easier?

Regards :)
Mario.