[scponly] Request: Backported security patch for 4.0

Roland Krystian Alberciak ra115 at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 6 02:36:33 EST 2006

Hi Thomas,

documentation is enclosed too.

I have one little thing I noticed with the userdoc- a discrepency.

I use Debian in addition to Cygwin. On my debian box where I've setup
scponlyc...

In /usr/share/doc/scponly/README.Debian:

"If clients complain about missing groups, compile
/usr/share/doc/scponly/groups.c and copy the resulting binary into
/bin/groups in the chroot jail."

Actually, I think that is incorrect and may have been overlooked:

If you look in: /usr/share/doc/scponly/setup_chroot/config.h
- And look at where PROG_GROUPS is defined, you'll see (I didn't configure
the package manually, I used apt-get and the setup_chroot.sh script)

#define PROG_GROUPS "/usr/bin/groups"

Which conflicts with the suggestion in README.Debian to move groups to
"/bin/groups". It should instead say:

"If clients complain about missing groups, compile
/usr/share/doc/scponly/groups.c and copy the resulting binary into
/usr/bin/groups in the chroot jail."

I ran across this after getting winscp to complain to me about groups, doing
what README.Debian says, and still having the problem.

-Krystian.