[scponly] compare and contrast - scponly vs. rssh ?

user user at dhp.com
Fri Oct 28 11:37:47 EDT 2005

I am looking at both scponly and rssh as candidates for restricting
certain users to scp/rsync only, etc.

Does anyone have any comments about one of these packages vs. the other?

I notice that both of them support chroot jails ... the only difference I
can really see is that:

- scponly supports subversion and unison, but not rdist or cvs
- rssh supports rdist and cvs, and not subversion or unison

(gftp and winscp are done in sftp mode, so theoretically they both support
both of those)

Both apps seem to have responded to the arbitrary execution advisory.

It looks like scponly is more actively maintained, and there is more user
support.

-----

I am leaning toward scponly because there is more user support and it is
more actively maintained.  On the other hand, cvs and rdist are more
common de facto standards than unison and subversion ... so I feel like
the average person is served better by rssh.

Any comments ?  Especially, I am curious as to why unison and subversion
were specifically added over rdist and cvs ... a philosophical choice ?

Thanks alot.