[scponly] RSA Keys and scponly

Frank Mohr f_mohr at yahoo.de
Sat Nov 5 17:14:28 EST 2005

Tim Churchard wrote:
> My scponlyc users cannot login, the server denies the public key
> everytime.  At the moment I have the test username: scponlyctest and his
> chroot home directory is /mnt/share/rbup/scponlytest
>
> I had to create a
>  .ssh directory in that test directory, I chown'd it to
> scponlytest:users and chmod to 0700 for the directory and 0600 for the
> authorized_keys and known_hosts files.

that shouldn't be necessary as the .ssh directory and authorized_keys
file may also belong to root, but your chown's shouldn't hurt
a known_hosts file is only needed for the ssh client

> Did I create the .ssh directory
> in the wrong place?  (its just in the ~ directory)

it just has to be ~scponlyctest/.ssh

> Can somebody explain how using scponlyc to chroot users would effect the
>  RSA key validation?  Is there a howto or some docs somewhere I should read?

as the scponly/scponlyc shell doesn't interact with the ssh login
process, there should be no problem with the scponlyc shell

the /mnt/share/rbup/scponlytest directory sounds strange
is this a local disk or a nfs (or even smb?) mount ?

the authorized_keys file must be readable by root during the
authentication process and some network protocols prevent this

some hints:
- try to connect with scp -vvv and have a look at the debug output
- have a look at the syslog messages on the server
- as Lupe proposed:
  start a sshd in debug mode with
  sshd -ddd -p <some unused port>
  and connect to this ssh server with
  scp -vvv -P port
  this should give you some more informations why the authenticaton
  fails

frank