[scponly] scponly 4.1

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Thu Mar 24 10:31:50 EST 2005

It is a bit "dangerous" but not quite what you indicated.

passwd does have to be called from outside of the chroot or access files
outside of the chroot.  The latter shouldn't be possible at the filesystem
level, so the former is an option.

The process I have taken is as follows.  Note that 90-95% of the code that I
have has been taken from elsewhere in the code as most of it didn't need to
be original:

... before chroot() has been called, see if the command is passwd.
if the command is password, drop privileges, fork(), exec passwd, then exit.

This mechanism shouldn't depend on the OS in the least, whatever passwd
program is found by configure at configure time is used to change the users
password.

I'll provide a patch soon so everyone can look at it.  It does need to be well
tested.  I'm in the process of testing it on several systems....

Thanks.

--Kaleb