[scponly] scponly 4.1

David Ramsden david at hexstream.eu.org
Thu Mar 24 08:59:30 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 07:51:03AM -0500, Ralf Durkee wrote:
> Are you talking about putting a password command inside the chroot, so that
> users can change their password?
> If so it sounds like a high risk item to throw in at the last minute
> without careful consideration.

I'm still trying to figure out how this'd work exactly. Maybe the AIX
passwd procedure is different to that in Linux but you'd need to write
some kind of "wrapper" so you can specify current password, new password
and confirm password on the same line (passwd is interactive and an
scponly shell wouldn't allow this?).

Besides, doesn't it kind of defeat the object of a chroot if you need to
modify/call programs outside of the chroot (which you'd need to do to
modify /etc/shadow for example)?

Just my initial thoughts!

Regards,
David.