[scponly] Permission denied

Kaleb Pederson kpederson at mail.ewu.edu
Fri Apr 1 10:52:48 EST 2005

> Have you checked the directory structure for the jail looks correct in
> /portal? For example is the correct line in /portal/etc/passwd?

Hmm.... actually, a got suggestion in this case would be to chroot to the
directory yourself and make sure that the chroot works.

But, if you aren't getting any additional SCP logging when debuglevel is
setup, then chances are that you aren't even making it to that step.
Similarly, your error message in auth log indicates that you aren't making it
to that stage.

> strace, as suggested previously, is your friend for such problems :)
> If you're totally stuck using strace or analysing the logs then upload
> them somewhere so we can take a look and give you feedback.

Strace will tell you whether or not you're making it into scponly code or not.

# strace -o mylogfile.log -f -p PID1 -p PID2

I use the above commandline to find out what's going on with ssh problems,
where PID1 and PID2 and the privilege separation PIDs of my connection.

--Kaleb