[scponly] Permission denied

David Ramsden david at hexstream.eu.org
Fri Apr 1 09:52:08 EST 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:36:44AM -0500, Chris de Vidal wrote:
[snip]
> Hm.  make jail asked me for a path for the scponly username and I gave it
> /portal.  If it needs two trailing slashes perhaps the Makefile should be
> patched.

It doesn't *need* two backslashes. That's only if you want to chdir them
to a directory when they login.

For example, their home directory is /home/users/fred and inside their
you have a directory called "incoming". When they login you want them to
go directly to the "incoming" directory instead of having to go in to it
themselves. This is where you use the double slash, to chdir them
automagically.

> Anyway I tried usermod -d /portal// scponly and grepped /etc/passwd:
> scponly:x:1005:100::/portal//:/usr/sbin/scponlyc
>
> Still got permission denied.  Bummer.

Have you checked the directory structure for the jail looks correct in
/portal? For example is the correct line in /portal/etc/passwd?

strace, as suggested previously, is your friend for such problems :)
If you're totally stuck using strace or analysing the logs then upload
them somewhere so we can take a look and give you feedback.

Also, I've never used "make jail". I always use an application called
"scpjailer". Google for it. It creates a much smaller footprint for
chroots and works really well.

Regards,
David.
--