[scponly] Hacked users binary not found

Thomas Wana thomas at wana.at
Mon Oct 18 04:33:08 EDT 2004

On Sunday 17 October 2004 00:42, Matti Aronen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm setting up a box that needs chrooted scponly environment for users. My
> client wants that winscp won't give the error about groups if you choose to
> use scp protocol. With sftp there is no problem. I would simply ignore this
> because winscp has sftp selected by default, but my client demands that
> there won't be any error messages even if you use scp protocol. Well
> anyway, there was something mentioned about hacked users binary included in
> scponly that can be put to scponly chrooted users' bin directories to
> prevent this error, but I can't locate it anywhere. The server runs debian
> 3.1 and has version 3.11-1 of scponly.

I think you mean the "hacked" groups binary. It's true that this one
is missing in the Debian package (my fault). As soon as there will be
a new release of scponly there will be a new Debian package including
this. For the time being, I can only advise you to manually rebuild
the Debian package and use the 'groups' binary found in the scponly-src-
root after compilation. (Hint: apt-get source, dpkg-buildpackage). Sorry.

Tom