[scponly] Why SUID scponlyc

wby oblyr joe at sublimation.org
Mon Nov 17 10:15:41 EST 2003

Hi Martin,

as Tom stated, chroot() requires superuser.

this is why the chrooted version of scponly is a seperate binary.  if you
dont want to use chroot, you use scponly (which is not setuid and
therefore "safer").

joe

Martin Werthmoeller wrote this message on Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at
16:59 +0100:
> Hello List,
>
> when I installed scponly with the --enable-chrooted-binary option, it will
> be installed SUID root. On Linux this seems not necessary (tested). I
> think on FreeBSD, too.
>
> So why it will be installed with the suid flag set?
>
> Gruß,
> martin!
>
> --
> Ich betrachte "Verblödung durch Wissen" allerdings eher als das
> Phänomen, daß "EDV-Kenntnisse" mittlerweile mit "ich kenne mich mit
> den neuesten GUI-Erfindungen der Office-Produkte aus dem Hause
> Microsoft aus" verwechselt wird.           (Jochen Huhmann in dcoud)

----

PGP KEY: http://www.sublimation.org/contact.html
PGP Key fingerprint = EC4B 0DA5 B4F6 BDDD 9176 55D6 3A6A 7D63 158F 22D2