[scponly] /chroot//home problem.

David Ramsden david at hexstream.eu.org
Thu Nov 13 15:20:47 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm using scponly-3.8 on my Debian stable box. I created my own chroot
jails, based on the scponly script (I found it didn't work under Debian
stable).

This all works fine.
I give scponlyc accounts to users who only use the server to upload web
pages to their webspace.
Their home directory looks like: /home/www/users/username
And their webspace directory structure is: /home/www/users/username/www

So I'm chrooting them to /home/www/users/username (this is where bin,
usr, etc directories are for the chroot) but when they SFTP in, I want
them to chdir to their www directory.
So their home directory looks like: /home/www/users/username//www

This isn't working for me.
I thought maybe I was missing the chroot binary in their chroot but it
didn't make a different (and probably introduces security issues).

Any ideas how I can find out why it isn't working?
One theory is grsecurity isn't allowing it, as I don't allow chroots,
within chroots (double chroot == security issues, allowing chroots to be
broken I think).
But I thought the /home//dir method was related to chdir?

Thanks for any support on this issue.
Best regards,
David.
--