[scponly] Re: scponly bug

Zdenek Hladik hladik at ima.cz
Tue Sep 17 10:39:17 EDT 2002

Hi,

I tried to fix yesterday mentioned error - succesfully. But there are
still often situations ending in signal 11. So it will be good to
revise coding. If there are those problems it is very probably also
possible buffer overflow vulnerability problems.

On 16 Sep 02, at 10:28, joe wrote:

> Zdenek,
>
> Thanks for emailing me.  I am hoping I can ask you some more questions
> about the problems you mention.  see questions inline...
>
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Zdenek Hladik wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just tried to test your SCPONLY package. It seems to by little
> > messy package. It seems that 3.1 pakage nobody tested on Linux. make
> > jail ends with crazy error. But it is not big problem because chroot
> > for making jail is on Internet lot of other cookbooks.
>
> Could you send me this error?
>
> > But more serious problem i got. At first I believed that i made wrong
> > chroot jail, but after adding some debug messages to scponly.c i
> > found that scponlyc crashes inside
> >
> >        flatten_vector()
> >
> > on processing of scp -r -p -d "somefile" command from winscp. with
> > exit signal 11 (memory violation).
>
> If possible, could you increase your debugging output (edit
> /usr/local/etc/scponly/debugfile andchange value inside the file to "2")
> and rerun your winscp program to cause the crash.  It would be very
> valuable if i could see the debugging output.

Incrieasing debug level totally mess Winscp. It is better to change
destionation on some debug level to log file instead to stdout...