[scponly] Re: scponly bug

Andrew Chadwick andrewc at piffle.org
Thu Oct 3 12:56:05 EDT 2002

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:51:35PM +0200, Gabor Kovacs wrote:
> joe wrote:
>
> >> I just tried to test your SCPONLY package. It seems to by little
> >> messy package. It seems that 3.1 pakage nobody tested on Linux. make
> >> jail ends with crazy error.

Um, yes. I'll admit that the packages I've made so far don't even try to
set up a chrooted environment, mainly because the script is heavily
BSD-centric. I'll add support for gaol setup if there's a demand for a
chrooting ability.

User addition, setup, and removal might be better handled through a set
of scripts, one per environment perhaps, with a common interface. joe,
would you like me to come up with something here, and which operations
do you think need to be automated?

> >> But it is not big problem because chroot
> >> for making jail is on Internet lot of other cookbooks.

Yup - I must take a look at integration with makejail at some point
<http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/makejail.html>.

> WinSCP log follows:
>
> Detecting variable containing return code of last command.
> Trying "$status".
> echo "$status" ; echo "WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0"

Which version of WinSCP was this, and is there a mode it can be put into
that allows it to play more nicely with restricted shells like scponly?
Does it have a pure-SFTP mode at all?

I don't se WinSCP, and I can't test with it, but from your log, it seems
to be playing with the assumption that there's a real /bin/sh at the
other end.

--
Andrew Chadwick