[PRL] hosting talks

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Oct 8 11:09:38 EDT 2014

Since we are gearing up to host people for talks, I thought I'd send out a check list again to remind everyone how to go about this:

1. Invite people with polite, person-specific emails. Nothing generic.

2. Discuss options for a talk. Then request title and abstract.

3. Arrange schedule:
	-- ask appropriate PRL faculty colleagues first for time slots; they are more constrained than everyone else
	-- next approach most likely points of interest in the lab or outside (e.g., an FM-related PL talk)
	-- send out url to person's page/title/abstract to the PRL list together with current schedule,
		ask people to sign up
        -- arrange meals; some people are more eager/available to go out for breakfast | lunch | dinner

4. If someone comes from out of town, make sure to arrange hotel (with staff downstairs). Ask whether s/he wants to share breakfast.

5. Figure out how to introduce the speaker. Visit the web page. Go for wikipedia. Don't read off a list of items. Pick something good.

6. Stand up
	-- thank the speaker,
	-- guide the post-talk discussion,
	-- have a couple of questions ready in case the rest of the lab is asleep,
	-- shut down in time.

7. When speaker departs, make sure everything is okay, especially trip to airport. (Arrange in time.)

8. Send off a thank-you note via email within 12 hours of departure. If the speaker is from out of town, remind him/her how to send it receipts.

Thanks -- Matthias