[PRL] Fwd: SIGPLAN Mentoring Workshop

David Van Horn dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Nov 23 12:19:17 EST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: SIGPLAN Mentoring Workshop
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 23:22:08 +0000
From: jnfoster at gmail.com
To: dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu

Dear Dave,

I am helping organize a mentoring workshop which will be co-located with
the ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages
(POPL) in Rome. We are interested in attracting students who would not
otherwise attend POPL including undergraduates and underrepresented
minorities and have raised funds for a number of travel scholarships.

I would be grateful if you would pass the announcement below along to
students at Northeastern who might be interested in participating. The
application deadline for travel scholarships is December 9th.

Thank you in advance for your help publicizing this workshop.

Best regards,
Nate

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

SIGPLAN Programming Languages Mentoring Workshop, Rome
Co-located with POPL 2013
Tuesday January 22, 2013

Web page: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~gds/PLMW/index.html

After the resounding success of the first Programming Languages Mentoring
Workshop at POPL 2012, we proudly announce the 2nd SIGPLAN Programming
Languages Mentoring Workshop (PLMW), co-located with POPL 2013 and
organised by Nate Foster, Philippa Gardner, Alan Schmitt, Gareth Smith,
Peter Thieman and Tobias Wrigstad.

The purpose of this mentoring workshop is to encourage graduate students
and senior undergraduate students to pursue careers in programming
language
research. This workshop will provide technical sessions on cutting-edge
research in programming languages, and mentoring sessions on how to
prepare
for a research career. We will bring together leaders in programming
language research from academia and industry to give talks on their
research areas. The workshop will engage students in a process of
imagining
how they might contribute to our research community. We especially
encourage women and underrepresented minority students to attend PLMW.

This workshop is part of the activities surrounding POPL, the Symposium on
Principles of Programming Languages, and takes place the day before the
main conference. One goal of the workshop is to make the POPL conference
more accessible to newcomers. We hope that participants will stay through
the entire conference, and will also attend the POPL tutorials on Monday
21st January which are free to PLMW registered attendees.

Through the generous donation of our sponsors, we are able to provide
scholarships to fund student participation. These scholarships will cover
reasonable expenses (airfare, hotel and registration fees) for attendance
at both the workshop and the POPL conference. Students attending this year
will get one year free student membership of SIGPLAN. The workshop
registration is open to all. Students with other sources of funding are
also welcome.

SCHOLARSHIPS

The scholarship application can be accessed from the workshop web site
(http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~gds/PLMW/index.html). The deadline for full
consideration of funding is 9th December, 2012. Selected participants will
be notified from Friday 14th December, and will need to register for the
workshop by December 24th.

SPONSORS

Imperial College London
Jane Street