[PRL] A Type System for the Automatic Distribution of Higher-order Synchronous Dat...

Mitch mwand1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 07:33:29 EST 2012

Unread, but sounded interesting, esp re Cisco. --Mitch

Sent to you by Mitch via Google Reader: A Type System for the Automatic
Distribution of Higher-order Synchronous Dataflow Programs.
(arXiv:1211.2776v1 [cs.PL]) via cs.PL updates on arXiv.org by Gwenaël
Delaval (INRIA Grenoble Rhône-Alpes / LIG Laboratoire d'Informatique de
Grenoble), Alain Girault (INRIA Grenoble Rhône-Alpes / LIG Laboratoire
d'Informatique de Grenoble), Marc Pouzet (LRI) on 11/12/12

We address the design of distributed systems with synchronous dataflow
programming languages. As modular design entails handling both
architectural and functional modularity, our first contribution is to
extend an existing synchronous dataflow programming language with
primitives allowing the description of a distributed architecture and
the localization of some expressions onto some processors. We also
present a distributed semantics to formalize the distributed execution
of synchronous programs. Our second contribution is to provide a type
system, in order to infer the localization of non-annotated values by
means of type inference and to ensure, at compilation time, the
consistency of the distribution. Our third contribution is to provide a
type-directed projection operation to obtain automatically,from a
centralized typed program, the local program to be executed by each
computing resource. The type system as well as the automatic
distribution mechanism has been fully implemented in the compiler of an
existing synchronous data-flow programming language.

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to cs.PL updates on arXiv.org using Google Reader
favorite sites