[PRL] a second ICFP torture chamber tomorrow

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Sep 15 11:26:45 EDT 2011

After leaving some room for lunch after Dimitris's talk, I'll also be
giving an ICFP practice talk:

    1:15pm in WVH366.

For those of you attending the model checking course, there should be
time to see the talk (~20 min) and give your feedback.  Please come
and help improve the presentation!

--

Modular Rollback through Control Logging
A Pair of Twin Functional Pearls

(with Olin Shivers)

We present a technique, based on the use of first-class control
operators, enabling programs to maintain and invoke rollback logs for
sequences of reversible effects. Our technique is modular, in that it
provides complete separation between some library of effectful
operations, and a client, “driver” program which invokes and rolls
back sequences of these operations. In particular, the checkpoint
mechanism, which is entirely encapsulated within the effect library,
logs not only the library’s effects, but also the client’s control
state. Thus, logging and rollback can be almost completely transparent
to the client code.

This separation of concerns manifests itself nicely when we must
implement software with sophisticated error handling. We illustrate
with two examples that exploit the architecture to disentangle some
core parsing task from its error management. The parser code is
completely separate from the error-correction code, although the two
components are deeply intertwined at run time.