[PRL] torture chamber for ICFP tomorrow

Dimitris Vardoulakis dimvar at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Sep 15 10:41:17 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'll be giving a practice talk for my upcoming ICFP talk tomorrow
morning at 11am at 366. Please come and give feedback.

Title: Pushdown Flow Analysis of First-Class Control

Abstract:
Pushdown models are better than control-flow graphs for higher-order
flow analysis. They faithfully model the call/return structure of a
program, which results in fewer spurious flows and increased
precision. However, pushdown models require that calls and returns in
the analyzed program nest properly. As a result, they cannot be used
to analyze language constructs that break call/return nesting such as
generators, coroutines, call/cc, etc.

In this paper, we extend the CFA2 flow analysis to create the first
pushdown flow analysis for languages with first-class control. We
modify the abstract semantics of CFA2 to allow continuations to escape
to, and be restored from, the heap. We then present a summarization
algorithm that handles escaping continuations via a new kind of
summary edge. We prove that the algorithm is sound with respect to the
abstract semantics.

--
Dimitris