[PRL] Torture Chamber: Wednesday, 1:30 PM, WVH 166

Jesse A. Tov tov at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Mar 8 18:27:26 EST 2010

I will be holding a torture chamber for my ESOP talk at 1:30 PM this
Wednesday in WVH 166.  The title of the talk is "Stateful Contracts
for Affine Types".  Here's the abstract:

Affine type systems manage resources by preventing some values from
being used more than once. This offers expressiveness and performance
benefits, but difficulty arises in interacting with components written
in a conventional language whose type system provides no way to
maintain the affine type system's aliasing invariants. We propose and
implement a technique that uses behavioral contracts to mediate
between code written in an affine language and code in a conventional
typed language. We formalize our approach via a typed calculus with
both affine-typed and conventionally-typed modules. We show how to
preserve the guarantees of both type systems despite both languages
being able to call into each other and exchange higher-order values.

If you can make it, I would definitely appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Jesse