[PRL] Emacs 22/Solaris failing under Cygwin/X

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Mar 17 17:19:55 EDT 2009

Is anybody here using the Cygwin/X X server? I started using Version 1.5.3
when I switched over to Vista, and now I can't run emacs 22 on denali any
more.

I can get emacs to start up ok, but when I type any character, it dies,
saying

X protocol error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation) on
protocol request 136

xterm works fine.

xfig fails, saying

xfig3.2.4: X error trapped - error message follows:
BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Request code: <Unknown>
xfig: figure empty or not modified - exiting
Abort

I've tried various versions of emacs:

On denali/solaris:
    emacs-19.34.1 works (/arch/gnu/bin/emacs, version of Feb 18, 1999
(!!!!))
    emacs-21.3 does not work  /arch/unix/packages/emacs-21.3/bin/emacs)
    emacs-22 does not work ( /opt/csw/bin/emacs)
    xemacs-20.4 works (/arch/gnu/bin/xemacs)

The failure modes for 21.3 and 22 were the same.

I found a linux installation that I could use (Debian, I think, on
lambda.csail.mit.edu), and emacs-21.4.1 worked fine from there.

Googling suggested some evidence that this may be a Solaris configuration
error: http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=cygwin-xfree&a=2008-12&t=9221581

Has anybody here run into this error?  Does anyone have any suggestions on
how to fix it (other than switching to MacOS)?

--Mitch