[PRL] pl-seminar: community meeting and elevator-pitch festival

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 15 14:02:09 EDT 2008

Hi folks,

It's time to start up pl-seminar for the year.   This year we will start
again with elevator-pitch festival.  Recall the rules:

Each elevator pitch is a short conversation between one student (playing
him- or her-self) and one faculty member (playing an Important Person Whom
the Student Has Buttonholed at a Conference).   The student first identifies
the conference where he or she imagines that this conversation takes place.

The student gets to introduce himself and initiate a conversation with the
IPWtSHSBaaC.   Where the conversation goes depends on how the IP* reacts, of
course.  After 5 minutes a bell goes off.

We'll choose the faculty member randomly, excluding the student's advisor.

This will have the side-benefit of getting faculty members warmed up for
being buttonholed, too.

Bring your laptops and put your comments online in real time at the wiki
page <https://wiki.ccs.neu.edu/x/fwtQ>.

Afterwards, maybe we'll vote for Best Presentation (to be awarded publicly).

We'll start on Wed 9/17, skip ICFP week, and continue on 10/1.  (I won't be
there on 10/1, but you can surely carry on without me.)

--Mitch