[PRL] ANN: Larceny v0.96 "Fluoridation"

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Dec 24 10:16:10 EST 2007

Larceny v0.96, "Fluoridation", is now available
for download at http://larceny.ccs.neu.edu/

"Fluoridation" is not a postwar commie conspiracy.
It is an implementation of R5RS/ERR5RS/R6RS Scheme.

Highlights of this release include:

  * separate compilation of ERR5RS/R6RS libraries
    and programs
  * library search path for ERR5RS/R6RS libraries
  * automatic loading of ERR5RS/R6RS libraries
  * SRFI 96 (supports SLIB)
  * faster compilation
  * faster io
  * faster records
  * custom printing of records (even if opaque)
  * port-specific case folding (ERR5RS semantics)

This release also includes a number of bug fixes
and minor performance improvements.

Larceny remains the most complete implementation
of ERR5RS and R6RS Scheme.  Larceny is also one
of the fastest and most complete implementations
of R5RS Scheme.  Larceny compiles R5RS/ERR5RS/R6RS
programs and libraries to native code for IA32,
SPARC, PowerPC, and other machines running Windows,
Linux, Solaris, MacOS X, and other POSIX-compatible
systems.  Incremental (JIT) compilation is used on
IA32 and SPARC machines.

Common Larceny (for .NET and Mono) is not part of
the v0.96 release, but will be a focus of the v0.97
release.

We are happy to acknowledge Andre van Tonder and
Jonathan Kraut as authors of two major components
of Larceny (the macro/library system and IA32
assembler, respectively).  We are also grateful
to Aubrey Jaffer for his help with SRFI 96, and
to Andre, Alan Watson, and other SchemePunks who
believed in and developed ERR5RS.

Thank you all for your support.  Merry Christmas.

William D Clinger
Felix S. Klock II