[PRL] Computer science `education'

Carl Eastlund cce at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Nov 9 16:32:26 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 3:00 PM, Joe Marshall <jmarshall at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Was I expecting too much?  We're all my questions way too hard?  Or did the
> college completely fail in its mission?  Or is the general computer
> science curriculum
> this bad everywhere?

My brother works for Google and has told me his own horror stories
from interviewing job candidates.  Your guy is way above the "horror"
bar compared to what I've heard.  And that's compared to people
interviewing for fully technical positions.  If this guy was only
going to be semi-technical, he sounds like a good candidate to me.  A
technical manager who understands that there are benefits to
functional languages?  Even if he couldn't list a single one, that's a
step in the right direction compared to the industry standard.

--
Carl Eastlund