[PRL] Layers of indirection

Paul A. Steckler steck at stecksoft.com
Thu Mar 29 00:38:48 EDT 2007

> As everybody knows, every problem in computer science can be solved by adding
another layer of indirection... except for the problem of too many layers of
indirection.
> And every layer of indirection is a join point.

A while ago, a few Web sites in China posted a "cracked" version of
a shareware program I'd written.  Here, "cracked" means they disabled
the nag dialog that reminds users to send me payment.  To get an image
for the program, they linked directly to my Web server.

I figured all this out when I checked my Web logs one day and saw all the
hits for the image files.  Like the fellow whose server was linked to
John McCain's Web site, I decided that a little mischief was in order.
I swapped out the legitimate image file in favor of something a bit,
mmmm, unseemly.

-- Paul