[PRL] PRL Roundtable on Wed

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Mar 10 11:55:46 EST 2007

Thanks to Sam for organizing this. As most of you know, I consider it
essential that every PhD student has a 30-second "spiel" and a 5-
minute description of his research project.

A typical encounter at a conference proceeds like this:

Other, Famous guy & Advisor discuss highly important gossip outside
the meeting/presentation room. You know the Other Famous guy's name
from four or five papers from the early 90s that you read in seminars
and course and you know that this guy's name already decorates a
proof method or a theorem.

You, the quiet PhD student, sneak around your advisor because you
feel to insecure to start conversations with the omniscient, post-PhD
miracles of science, also know as "old people." [*] The only thing
worse is that you hang out with other graduate students from places
wasting any chances to make connections that may help you get a job
eventually.

Eventually your advisor notices you and introduces you, hopefully
using your correct name. Depending on your age (and your advisor's
age), the advisor will intentionally not say what you're working on.

Other Famous guys is embarrassed. It's like he is a politician from
Brookline (no names, but it starts with J and K.) and was handed a
baby from the crowd to 'bless' it. So he brings himself to saying the
standard phrase to bridge the gap: "What do you do for your research."

THIS IS YOUR FIRST BIG CHANCE. GRAB IT!

You have some two or three sentences to say "Oh, I am working on the
most exciting thing since sliced bread. But it is so hyper-secret,
and financed by a triple-letter agency in Moscow, so I can't tell you
what it's about." With that you either caught the Other Famous guy's
attention OR NOT. But in all likelihood he will turn to your advisor
and continue some incomprehensible conversation with your Advisor
about Yet Another Famous guy. If you're lucky, you got him interested
with your sentence and he asks for a couple more sentences. If you're
good, your advisor doesn't have to intervene and explain the idea in
detail.

THAT IS YOUR REAL CHANCE.

Now you can actually explain what you're doing. Do it well so that if
you end up at the same lunch and/or dinner table, you can spend even
more time showing your brilliance. The alternative is that the Other,
Famous guy sees you approaching a lunch table and turns around to
look for an alternative. Not Good.

You might get a second small chance IF the Other Famous guy sees you
and has nobody else to turn to and is too meek to just walk away from
you. Or better still, he's locked into the same elevator and can't
avoid your presence for 20 seconds. But don't count on that.

And do stay professional all the time.

[*] Of course, you realize that we old people, if we act as good
advisors, have the vision and you, young people, do the actual
research, with occasional "bumps" from your advisor or better yet
"pruning actions."

Hth -- Matthias