[PRL] TFP 2007 -- due date Feb 1

shivers at ccs.neu.edu shivers at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 1 16:14:11 EST 2007

    From: Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>
    Even though plt-scheme is only cc'ed and thus declared a not-quite-
    functional PL and even though Olin is mentioned as belonging to some
    minor league club in the South, you guys should consider practicing
    your writing and publication skills there.

Yes, let me second Matthias' remark; I have been meaning to email the PRL
students about this.

- The TFP'07 deadline is coming up: Feb 1.
- It's a "symposium," so it looks better on a c.v. than a workshop.
- It's in NY this year, instead of Europe, so cheap for travel.
- The CFP is pretty broad-spectrum wrt style of paper:
    Research Articles 	Leading-edge, previously unpublished research work
    Position Articles 	On what new trends should or should not be
    Project Articles 	Descriptions of recently started new projects
    Evaluation Articles What lessons can be drawn from a finished project
    Overview Articles 	Summarizing work with respect to a trendy subject
- No proceedings, so you can upgrade the paper & send it somewhere else.
- The PC is damn high quality for such a second-tier venue:

    John Clements	California Polytechnic State University, USA
    Marko van Eekelen	Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    Benjamin Goldberg	New York University, USA
    Kevin Hammond	University of St. Andrews, UK
    Patricia Johann	Rutgers University, USA
    Hans-Wolfgang Loidl	Ludwig-Maximilians Universität, Germany
    Rita Loogen	Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany
    Greg Michaelson	Heriot-Watt University, UK
    Marco T. Morazán (Chair)	Seton Hall University, USA
    Henrik Nilsson	University of Nottingham, UK
    Chris Okasaki	United States Military Academy at West Point, USA
    Rex Page	University of Oklahoma, USA
    Ricardo Peña	Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
    Benjamin C. Pierce	University of Pennsylvania, USA
    John Reppy	University of Chicago, USA
    Ulrik P. Schultz	University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
    Clara Segura	Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
    Jocelyn Sérot	Université Blaise Pascal, France
    Zhong Shao	Yale University, USA
    Olin Shivers	Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
    Phil Trinder	Heriot-Watt University, UK
    David Walker	Princeton University, USA

In short: a *fine* place for a starter student to ship a starter paper, or
for a little oddball project. PRL should exploit it. If you need something
like TFP to get some airplay for some paper you are writing, jump on it.
At the very least, you'll probably get excellent reviews from the PC, which
you can fold in to a subsequent conference version.

BTW, let me note, in closing, that I have already sent an email message to the
program chairman requesting that they update the web-page Call For Papers with
my correct current affiliation, the PRL group (which I understand is
affiliated in some manner with the University of the North East or some such
institution).
    -Olin "Husky" Shivers