[PRL] [Kathy Sierra] how to start a presentation, book, article...

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Oct 23 15:44:32 EDT 2006

Some good tips here--

==============

Nobody knows more about the importance of beginnings than novelists
and screenwriters, but too often we think their advice doesn't apply
to us. After all, we give technical presentations. Lectures. Sermons.
We cover professional topics, not fiction. Not entertainment.

Oh really? Regardless of your topic, the only way they'll read or
listen to it is if you get them hooked from the beginning. And like
your mother always said, "You never get a second chance to make a
first impression." (Or as one writer put it, "You can't be in the room
with the reader to say, 'trust me...it gets better.')

So, we took some tips on making a good beginning from those whose work
depends on it.

http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/10/better_beginnin.html