[PRL] Scheme Lab for new MS students

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Oct 17 16:20:44 EDT 2006

As you may or may not know, we organized the Scheme exam for incoming
students differently this year.   We gave the exam on October 11 (last
Wednesday), and told the people that if they failed, they could retake the
exam on Wed 11/15.

We had a huge incoming MS class this year (75 students), so we wound up with
a large number of students who failed-- 25, to be exact.

So I'd like to do something organized to help these students get ready for
the November retest.

In particular, I'd like to run the 2-session HtDP boot camp that we've run
for G111 the last couple of years.

It looks like the best time to do this would be Thursday afternoons  -- two
3-hour sessions 230-530 or 3 2-hour sessions 330-530 in 210WVH (or maybe
it's 212?).

Anyhow, I'd like to get 3 people to run these labs-- 1 to be the
"instructor" and 2 more to help out, as we've done in G111.  (I think 1:8 is
about the right ratio-- can anybody correct my memory on this?).  We can use
the materials that Theo prepared last year, maybe with a little updating for
bug fixes.

Can I get some volunteers to do this?  Since this is outside of normal TA/RA
duties, Agnes has promised some compensation for you.

Thanks.

--Mitch