[PRL] Of course our programming language can do this

Peter R. Douglass peterd at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Aug 2 16:54:48 EDT 2006

Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Guys, I don't think syntax is a polite topic among PL researchers. If it
> doesn't demand a global transformation, it's okay.
>
> What does deserve consideration is what Joel is preaching: getting to
> know FP, for example, helps you exploit the full power of Java.

Hear! Hear!  If programmer A types 5 times faster than programmer B, who
is the more productive software engineer?  Answer: except for trivially
small programs, typing in the code, is, or should be one of less time
consuming aspects of writing software.

Lambda expressions in Scheme are succinct, and I like that.  Writing
function objects in C++ is more verbose.  But on a sufficiently large
project, I don't see the greater verbosity of one language over another
as being that significant.  What *is* significant is whether software
engineers are able to benefit from the power of higher order functions
or syntactic closures, or map, or fold.

The big problem is software engineers who are crippled by a severely
limited intellectual tool-kit.  The tediousness of writing higher-order
functions in certain popular languages is a lesser matter.  There are of
course differences in languages that affect productivity, but the
relative ease or tediousness of writing a higher order function, is,
IMHO, small potatoes.

--peterd