[PRL] mathit

Eli Barzilay eli at barzilay.org
Wed Apr 12 08:49:07 EDT 2006

On Apr 12, Riccardo Pucella wrote:

> Yes, but the results (whether or not they *look* the same) also
> depends on which fonts Dave chose. Thus, if you use times fonts for
> text and modern for math, then \mathit will use modern-italics and
> \mbox{\textit{...}} will use times-italics, no?

Probably, but I never tried that...

On Apr 12, Dave Herman wrote:
> > Yes, but the results (whether or not they *look* the same) also
> > depends on which fonts Dave chose. Thus, if you use times fonts
> > for text and modern for math, then \mathit will use modern-italics
> > and \mbox{\textit{...}} will use times-italics, no?
>
> That's what I want to know. I want to italicize a name with a hyphen
> in it, and \mathit treats the hyphen as a subtraction symbol (so
> actually, the two forms are certainly not equivalent, at least in
> this sense). But I wasn't sure if switching to \mbox{\textit} looks
> subtly different. I couldn't tell just by looking, but I'd like to
> know if purists might balk.

As far as treating text like text (so `-' is a dash, and you get the
normal looking `ff' that doesn't look like f times f), \mathit works.
If there are any changes in fonts then I don't know what happens, but
the difference would not be subtle.  Two ways to be completely sure
are to use the Cobbe tex oracle, or post on comp.tex.text, which is
busy enough that you usually get an answer in a few minutes.