[PRL] mathit

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Apr 12 08:42:04 EDT 2006

> Yes, but the results (whether or not they *look* the same) also depends
> on which fonts Dave chose. Thus, if you use times fonts for text and
> modern for math, then \mathit will use modern-italics and
> \mbox{\textit{...}} will use times-italics, no?

That's what I want to know. I want to italicize a name with a hyphen in
it, and \mathit treats the hyphen as a subtraction symbol (so actually,
the two forms are certainly not equivalent, at least in this sense). But
I wasn't sure if switching to \mbox{\textit} looks subtly different. I
couldn't tell just by looking, but I'd like to know if purists might balk.

Dave