[PRL] Printing from emacs

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Aug 15 14:23:40 EDT 2005

How do I print from emacs on my office Dell machine (which is a
Systems-administered machine) to the CCIS printers?  I'd like to be able
to use the "print buffer", etc., menu items.

I know this uses the emacs variables "printer-name" and
"ps-printer-name", but what should I set them to?

Leaving the default ("prn") gets me a message of the form "C:/prn:
unknown port".

Setting printer-name to "renoir" gets me

Opening output file: permission denied, c:/renoir

The HOWTO  at
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/howto/howto-windows-adding-printers.html doesn't
seem relevant.

The issue seems to be how to refer to the TCP/IP port as a Windows filename.

Any thoughts?  (Other than, "administer your own machine", which I'm
thinking harder about...)

--Mitch