[PRL] Setting up CVS repository for remote access

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jul 19 16:55:53 EDT 2005

Richard Cobbe wrote:

>Paul Steckler wrote:
>

>>I don't know what you meant by your last sentence.
>>
>>I will say that in my experience, Emacs support for Subversion is not
>>as complete as for CVS.
>>
>>For example, I had to hack up my own additions to vc-svn.el to get M-x
>>vc-annotate functionality.
>>
>>I don't know what Mitch's needs are.  Maybe the standard vc-svn.el will
>>serve them perfectly.  But it wasn't good enough for me.
>>

>I really don't want to add any fuel to this particular advocacy fire,
>but I agree with Felix.  In my case, I like---well, liked---to use
>pcl-cvs, and the Subversion backend for that was not compatible with
>XEmacs the last time I tried.

My comment about emacs support was based on a conversation I had with
Felix a few weeks ago, who had said he'd had to hack together something
to do the job.  I also noticed that svn was not on the list of supported
backends for pcl-cvs (at least not on the Options screen).  I've since
found vc-svn.el and psvn.el -- the latter claims to be like pcl-cvs.
But I've not tried either, and I'm trying to be a little conservative in
how many new (to me) technologies I try at once.

I've certainly got enough pointers for now, though.  Thanks all.  I'll
let you know when I get into trouble.

--Mitch