[PRL] Setting up CVS repository for remote access

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jul 19 11:39:09 EDT 2005

I'm trying to set up a CVS repository that I can access remotely.

For example, I have a repository for the new edition of my book that is
currently set up as follows:

workingcopy/CVS/Root       is   /home/wand/.cvsroot
workingcopy/CVS/Repository is   eopl3

which puts the repository at /home/wand/.cvsroot/eopl3 .

This fine when I'm on campus, but how can I set things up so that I can
checkout and commit remotely, eg from my laptop somewhere in Indiana?

I can mount my home directory on my laptop via Webdrive as W:/ , but
that doesn't help my poor cygwin cvs client (or wincvs), which is misled
by the CVS/Root entry.

What's the Right way of doing this?

I want to stick with CVS for the moment, since that's what Emacs can
handle without any effort on my part.

I'd also like to have shared access, so that my 1 collaborator on this
project can commit files, too., but I'd like to know the answer even in
the absence of shared access.

If this is too complicated for email, drop by-- I'll be here the rest of
the day today.

--Mitch