[PRL] [update] Presentation Workshop Wed 9/8/04

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 6 13:31:38 EDT 2004

Double your pleasure, double your fun as Presentation Workshop (aka
"Torture Chamber") presents a mini-festival of ICFP run-throughs:

Wed 9/8/04
1145-130
366 WVH

Dale Vaillancourt
Relating Models of Backtracking

Past attempts to relate two well-known models of backtracking
computation have met with only limited success.  We relate these two
models using logical relations.  We accommodate higher-order values
and infinite computations.  We also provide an operational semantics,
and we prove it adequate for both models.

Dave Herman
Improving the Static Analysis of Embedded Languages via Partial
Evaluation

Programs in embedded languages contain invariants that are not
automatically detected or enforced by their host language. We show how
to use macros to easily implement partial evaluation of embedded
interpreters in order to capture invariants encoded in embedded
programs and render them explicit in the terms of their host language.
We demonstrate the effectiveness of this technique in improving the
results of a value flow analysis.

Coming events in pl-seminar:

Wed 9/15: Mike Sperber, "Object-Oriented Programming Considered
Harmful"