[PRL] pdf/lpq mystery

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jun 21 11:26:30 EDT 2004

I tried pumping a sizeable pdf file
(/home/wand/research/dan-lp-04/rs.pdf, 389275 bytes, 114 pages)
through hiro.  When it seemed to be taking forever, I tried starting
the job on renoir.

Watching lpq, I observed that the size reported on hiro was 36M
(36558962, to be precise), but on renoir, the reported size was only
5.6M (5679594).  Both jobs were intended to be identical (same file,
both 2 up, double-sided).

The job on renoir started and finished before hiro's was halfway
through.  The job on hiro had accumulated 1032secs of stalled time
before I finally killed it.

Any guesses as to

(a) why the sizes reported by lpq were so different?

or

(b) why one job ran so much faster than the other?

--Mitch