[PRL] "Presentation Workshop" Wed 5/12

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon May 10 10:53:37 EDT 2004

We will do Presentation Workshop (a/k/a Torture Chamber) for Karl in
preparation for his presentation at the Stanford Software Seminar
(http://www.stanford.edu/~sylweden/sss.htm) on 5/20.

We will meet at 11:45.  I am aiming at 366WVH (the 3rd floor
colloquium room), but the reservation process has not yet been worked
out.

--Mitch

SPEAKER:  Karl J. Lieberherr, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
TITLE:  Controlling the Complexity of Software Designs

ABSTRACT
Our research has focused on identifying techniques to develop software that
is amenable to refactoring and change.  The Law of Demeter (LoD) was one
contribution in this effort.  But it led to other problems.  With the
current state of the art focused on Aspect-Oriented Software Development
(AOSD), it is useful to revisit the general objectives of the LOD and adapt
it to the new ideas.  Hence we introduce the Law of Demeter for Concerns
(LoDC) and discuss the important intersection of these approaches with
traversals.  We explore the ramifications of the Laws of Demeter (LoD and
LoDC) to achieve better separation of concerns through improved software
processes.  They are supported by language mechanisms that are implemented
using novel applications of automata theory.