[PRL] Printing A4 to letter paper?

Richard C. Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jan 13 11:17:21 EST 2004

Morning, all.

I'm sure this is a FAQ, but google didn't come through for me.

I've got a PostScript document that requires A4 paper, and I'd like to
print it here on letter paper.  What techniques do people use for
performing the conversion?

I've found the mpage package, included as part of Debian, works for
doing this, but it's a bit of a hassle finding a Debian machine.  (I
haven't yet tried building this for OSX, though it shouldn't be hard.)

Any other ideas?

While we're on the topic, how do you do the same conversion for PDF?  I
don't have any A4 PDF documents to test this on, but it's not clear
whether the fit-to-page options in Acrobat Reader's print dialog will do
the right thing here.

Thanks,

Richard